Museum Collection Ethics (eBook)
Acquisition, Stewardship, And Interpretation
Sobre o livro
Collection ethics – the third rail of the museum profession.
What are the encompassing issues museum face regarding how they acquire, keep and work with their collections?Museum Collection Ethicsdiscusses the complexities inherent in preserving and interpreting the extraordinary range of culturally significant objects entrusted to museums. The book presents an encompassing look at every aspect of the intellectual and stewardship duties museums by definition assume. The differences between ethics, laws, customs, and expectations are discussed. They are not synonymous. Ethics vary widely and are fluid.
Essential factors include:
- Defining a museum as an ethical pursuit
- The role of museum governing authorities regarding ethics
- The ethics of collection authority: who is responsible for collection truths
- How museums collect and how ethics influences that activity
- The ethics of assuring collection authenticity
- The ethical access to collections, be it physical or digital
- Ethics and conservation
- Exhibition ethics
- The ethics of collection removals be they voluntary or involuntary
This is the first book devoted solely to the ethical concerns museums face regarding their collections.