Defending Australia (eBook)
Australian Foreign Affairs; Issue 4
Sobre o livro
Whether we like it or not, the challenge of defending Australia will become much harder in the twenty-first century. We are no longer a strategic backwater. MICHAEL WESLEY
The fourth issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines the challenge of defending Australia at a time of regional uncertainty and rapidly developing military technology. It explores whether the nations weaponry, intelligence agencies and handling of alliances and diplomacy are up to the task of securing against new vulnerabilities in a fast-changing Asia .
- Michael Wesley examines the state of Australias security as Asias power balance shifts.
- Patrick Walters probes the overhaul of Australias expanding intelligence agencies. John Birmingham analyses Australias weapons capabilities as the military expands its reach.
- Stephan Fruhling explores Australias options for developing nuclear weapons to protect its maritime approaches.
- Jane Perlezdiscusses the Wests misjudgement of Xi Jinping, Chinas leader for life.
- Matthew Thompson examines Rodrigo Dutertes murderous rule in the Philippines.
- Tess Newton Cain reports on mining in the Pacific region.
PLUS Correspondence fromPhilips Vermonte, John McCarthy, Andrew MacIntyre and more.