The History Of Pittsburgh (eBook)
Sobre o livro
Miss Killikelly's book is more than a history of Pittsburgh, and all but serves as a history of Allegheny County, of which Pittsburgh has long been the metropolis, and which since the creation of the Greater Pittsburgh — brought about since this book was published — stands more than ever as the expression of the civic activities of its adjacent territory. With the chief facts of the early history of Pittsburgh, especially with those that center around Fort Duquesne, most readers of Pennsylvania history are fairly familiar. The story of these early days lose nothing in Miss Killikelly's retelling. Very marvelous, indeed, has been the growth of this great Pennsylvania city. A record of its population in 1761 gives the number of men as 324, the women 92 and children 47, living outside the garrison; the number of houses with owners' names was 220. At this period the town was divided into a Lower and Upper Town; the "King's Gardens" stretching along the Allegheny, with a background of wheatfields. The residence of the commandant, a substantial brick building within the fort, was the most pretentious house. In 1815 the population had increased to nearly 10,000. The subsequent history of this city is too detailed to be summarized. Miss Killikelly tells the story in ample manner, yet without any overloading of unessential facts. Her pages throb with the active, busy life that has made Pittsburgh so pre-eminently a manufacturing center, and she tells the story of its commercial, industrial and cultural progress with the skill of a practiced writer. Pittsburgh is probably the most misunderstood city in the United States, and Miss Killikelly is entitled to cordial thanks for her entirely readable account.