The True Story Of How I Escaped Nxivm, The Cult That Bound My Life
de Sarah Edmondson
Sobre o livro
The shocking and subversive memoir of a 12-year-NXIVM-member-turned-whistleblower, and her inspiring true story of abuse, escape, and redemption.
"Master, would you brand me? It would be an honor."
Scarred follows actress Sarah Edmondson's account of her recruitment into the NXIVM cult founded by Keith Raniere and the 12 years she spent within the organization, during which she enrolled over 2,000 members. This book also chronicles her breaking point and her harrowing fight to get out, help others, and heal.
• Sarah Edmondson is a Canadian actress and playwright who has starred in the CBS series Salvation and more than 12 films for the Hallmark Channel and Lifetime.
• Complete with personal photographs, this tell-all follows Sarah from the moment she takes her first NXIVM seminar, to the invitation she accepts from her best friend, Lauren Salzman, into DOS—a "secret sisterhood" within the cult—to her journey toward becoming a key witness in the federal case against its founders.
• Readers will learn how cults like NXIVM get started, why people get involved (and stay), and the importance of whistleblowers who bring light to illegal and unethical practices.
Scarred isn't just about NXIVM. It is also a story about abuses of power, the role female friendships play in cults, and how sometimes the search to be "better" can override everything else. In the constant search for self-improvement, how much do you trust the message and messenger?
• A thrilling read for fans of true crime and cults, as well as listeners of podcasts likeMy Favorite Murder andUp and Vanished
• Evokes questions about friendship, ethics, good and evil, making it a perfect selection for book clubs.
• Great for fans ofTroublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini,Escape by Carolyn Jessop,Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill, andBad Blood by John Carreyrou